The army morale reflects the overall confidence and solidity of its troops. When a unit is destroyed the consequences go further than just a ripple of panic in the closest friendly units. When enough damage has been done the army as a whole loses hope and starts to fall back piece by piece, hoping to salvage a measure of honour as they vacate the field of battle.
Initial army morale
An army initially starts at 0 morale, this is then increased depending on the units in the army.
Each unit with initial Unit Strength 21+: +2 morale
Each unit with initial Unit Strength 10 20: +1 morale
An army with no units with Unit Strength 10+ is broken when the General is slain or has fled the table.
Reduction in army morale
Unit with initial US 21+ reduced to below half strength: -1 morale
Unit with initial US 21+ wiped out: -2 morale (total: 3 morale)
Unit with initial US 10 20 reduced to below half strength: -1 morale
Unit with initial US 10 20 wiped out: -1 morale (total: 2 morale)
Units fleeing with no chance of rallying count as destroyed.
Though they are not affected by morale as such, the troops in an undead army are vulnerable to shifts in the tides of magic. When an undead army starts falling apart its bonds to the winds of magic are weakened and more and more troops turn to dust.
- Units raised during a battle are ignored for purposed of army morale.
- An undead unit reduced to below half strength and later raised to half strength or above adds +1 morale to the army.
An army is broken if it ever reaches 0 morale or lower at the end of any player turn. If this happens the following rules apply from that point on. Once an army is broken it cannot be unbroken.
- All units must take a Panic test at the start of each of their own turns. Undead take a crumble check instead. Other units that are Immune to Panic need not test.
- The army can no longer claim Victory points for holding table quarters. It can contest table quarters as normal.
- Each own banner that was lost before the army was broken but was recaptured after it broke and kept until the end of the battle is worth +100 Victory points to the owning player.
|Back to the Gaming page||Back to the Main page|